AD | Guest Post | CICA UK - How You Can Claim Abuse Compensation from the Government | Getting Support When You Need It Most.

Monday, 14 October 2019

AD - This is a guest post which I have been financially compensated for hosting on my blog. Please be aware it may be triggering to some, reader discretion is advised.

If you are the victim of a violent crime, which has lasting consequences for you physically or emotionally, then you may be able to claim compensation from the government. The amount of compensation depends on the severity of the criminal injury, but it is designed to help you with living costs and medical treatment costs as you recover. Victims who suffered criminal injuries can make abuse claims through CICA UK if they need assistance with applications.

Abuse Claims

There are many types of abuse which are against the law. Harm to an individual resulting from such abuse counts as criminal injury. You should report abuse to the police and seek medical attention for injuries. You will then have records of your abuse which you can use as evidence to support a compensation claim to the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority. It is the UK government agency responsible for administering compensation to the victims of violent crime. Victims of abuse can claim compensation for physical or mental injuries which could range from £1,000 to £44,000. This includes physical abuse and sexual abuse, and resulting medical conditions such as STIs or pregnancy. Repeated assault counts as abuse.

Child Abuse Claims

A specific type of criminal abuse is the abuse of children. A guardian who is responsible for a child who was a victim of abuse, or an adult who experienced violent abuse as a child, could claim financial compensation through CICA to help them to cope with their trauma. This is one of the exceptional cases where there is not a 2-year limit on making a compensation claim after the incident of abuse occurs. Many people are unable to acknowledge their child abuse until they are adults, and the effects of child abuse often continue into adulthood. In some cases of child abuse, victims were unable to claim compensation because they were living under the same roof as their abuser at the time. This restriction no longer applies, so you may be able to make a historical child abuse claim if this happened to you as a child.

How to Claim Abuse Compensation

Before you can apply for a compensation award from the CICA, you must have reported the abuse to the police and obtain a crime reference number. Usually, you must report the abuse within 2 years and then you will have a further 2 years from reporting to submit your claim for compensation to the CICA. If the abuse was historical, then the CICA may consider this as an exception to the time limit rule. Your case does not have to go to court and your abuser does not have to be convicted in order for you to claim compensation for what they did to you. If you would like a professional to assess your claim before you submit it, contact a solicitor. They can determine whether your claim is likely to be successful and how much compensation you would probably receive from them according to the criminal injuries tariff.

Love, Sarah

Post a comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love to know what people think about my posts xo